Friday, January 7, 2011

Saying (and sticking to) "No!"

One of most important things I feel I should do as a parent is to teach my children boundaries.  I believe I should set clear, consistent boundaries and stick to them so that my children will be able to grow up in a loving, caring, secure environment.

Now here's what usually happens:  I say "no", they whine, I eventually concede and give them something close, if not the whole thing, that they originally asked for.  I am not a strict parent when it comes to enforcing my threats; they are just that...threats.  They are not promises because I don't ever follow through with them.

Well today was a new day.  Today I decided I would stick to my guns and make sure that my boys were not ingesting ANYTHING that had gluten, casein, or soy in it.  And I did.  The problem of the day arose when I had to bake, assemble, and decorate my sister-in-law's baby shower cake for tomorrow.  See, I make large fondant covered cakes that are delicious--but jam packed with the crud that I do not serve in my house.  Even though it was easy (ok, not that easy) for me to withhold from eating the scraps, it was so hard for my boys to watch me assemble the cake and not get to taste test anything.  I really felt for them.

The good news was my boys really did an amazing job.  Neither one of them got a taste, and after a couple of whines, they continued up to their room to play games.  I was very impressed (especially after I caved and had a taste of the icing--just to make sure it was ok though).

I guess I still have a lot to learn, at least from my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment